Shawarma (Marinated Beef Strips)
By Mireille Chidiac
- I kg Rump Steak
- 2/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup Olive oil
- 2/3 cup Red wine
- 1 tablespoon of mixed peppers
- 2 ripe tomatoes cut into wedges – optional
- 2 brown onions sliced into thin wedges – optional
- Trim the rump steak from the fat
- Cut the steak into strips – about ½ cm thick
- In a bowl, mix all the above ingredients with the steak and marinate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Place the meat and its marinade in a very wide saucepan or tray and cook it slowly on the stove top over a low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. This could take up to 2 hours.
- Optional: Before the last 10 minutes add the tomato and onion wedges and stir in mixing well. Then cook for a few minutes before turning off the heat.
Salad to accompany the Shawarma
Cucumber, Tomato, onion, pickled cucumber – all sliced and set aside on a platter or make Tabouli.
2 cloves garlic, salt, ½ cup tahini, juice of 1 lemon, a little water
Crush the garlic in a bowl with a little salt until it’s a smooth paste. Add the Tahini and lemon juice and a couple of spoons of water and stir well until smooth and white, you can add more water if it becomes too thick and dry.
Serve together with the Shawarma and salad. Can be made into a wrap with Lebanese bread.