Fattoush (Lebanese bread salad)
By Jacklein Chidiac
Fattoush is a great summer dish and an all-round Lebanese favourite!
- 2 cups chopped lettuce (Iceberg or Cos or a mix of both)
- 1 medium size onion (red, brown or a few shallots)
- 1 cup of Baqli – Purslane
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 2 large tomatoes (or more if you like)
- 2 loaves of Lebanese bread
- 2 lemons juiced – can use more lemons to suit your taste.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Sumak
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bake the Lebanese bread in the oven until golden brown and once cool break it up into 2 cm pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl crush the garlic pieces with a little salt with a pestle until fine and a smooth paste or use a garlic press. Pour in the juice of 2 lemons.
- Add all the chopped salad vegetables and mix well. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons of olive oil on top, add the sumak, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve with the crispy Lebanese bread. You can mix it into the salad once you have plated it, otherwise it will go soggy if you add it into the salad beforehand.